Sunday, December 15, 2013

My first entry Operation Write Home 203




This is my first entry with Operation Write Home.  I don't know how I didn't hear about it before.  It's such a perfect fit for me. My daughter's husband is in the Army.  He just got home from his deployment in Africa 2 weeks ago.  (Glad you're home Hai!!)  And I have so many cards!  I am waiting for my stamp to come (to stamp the back of the cards) so I can send my first shipment to them.

First thing this morning, I got this wonderful sketch in my email box.  Such details in the measurements!  I must say I did like having those.  This card has more layers that I am used to.  But I am willing to step out of my comfort zone.  And besides, it's using more of my stash!

203The base of the card is a very dark brown, then I used black (this is the layer I don't normally do, but I like the way it helps the top layers pop).  Then the tan/kraft layer.  The patterned paper I used has that beautiful green on the other side.  I did several things with this card that I normally don't do.  First, is the black layer, that I already mentioned.  Second, I applied all layers up to the three think strips then I inked the edges.  I usually ink one layer at a time, but I forgot to do it before they were all glued down. To be honest, I love the way it turned out. Third, I picked out my embellishment and sentiment after the card was all cut out.  What was I thinking?!  I rummaged through my embellishments hoping and praying that I could find something, anything.  I feel I lucked out by finding this motorcycle (and the Woody car on the inside of card). I inked around the edges with my distressed inks. Fourth, I inked the fiber.  I've NEVER done that before.  I felt it needed to be a bit darker.  I used my distressed ink and applicator.  It turned out very nice.

Because the card base was dark brown, it was necessary to put a lighter CS on the inside.  I was able to use the Woody for the inner embellishment.

Thanks for stopping by!

Traci

9 comments:

  1. Great job on your first OWH card and welcome to the group! This is a great masculine card. I am now following your blot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the welcome! And Welcome to my blog.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to OWH! Great first card -- and a masculine one to boot. Looking forward to seeing you on the Operation Write Home circuit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traci- Welcome to the OWH tribe of cardmakers! I am so excited to see you use your stash-- it will help me to use more of my own overflowing stash! Your card is wonderful- masculine cards are not the easiest for me to create! And your instructions on all of the steps to create the card- fantastic! Hope to join you on your journey....or maybe just watch you use your stash and hope it rubs off! LOL And thanks to your SIL and your daughter for their sacrifices for our country! Glad he is safely home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also download labels to use on the back of the cards. Here is a link to take you to the page. http://operationwritehome.org/flyers/
    Welcome to OWH - a great way to make cards and put them to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Operation Write Home Traci! Your card came out great and is perfect for guys. I too started out making cards as a way to use my supplies, yet somehow two years later I have far more supplies than I ever knew existed (OWH is constantly showing us cool stuff…) Enjoy your journey and please send a huge thank you to your son-in-law for his service to our country. I know it requires quite the sacrifice to your family and we appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Traci, welcome to OWH! As an Army mom, I too am honored to make cards for our heroes and their families. I look forward to seeing your future creations! P.S. Fabulous card, lots of rich feeling details!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to OWH! I love all the little details about your card. Thanks so much for sharing how you did it. I look forward to seeing your future contributions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the party! This is a great masculine card and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete